Hyperpigmentation is a darkening or brown-blue discoloration of your skin when it over-produces melanin (that’s your body’s natural pigment responsible for skin and hair color). Hyperpigmentation usually occurs on the face, but other body sites, such as neck and arms, may also be affected. It is one of the most common cosmetic concerns for both women and men, and often is accelerated with age.
SOME IMPORTANT FACTS
1. People with skin-of-color (olive to darker skin tones) are more likely to be affected by hyperpigmentation. It is the third most common diagnosis in dark-complexioned patients in dermatology.
2. It can cause significant psychosocial distress, with negative impact on one’s self-image and quality of life.
3. The three most common types are:
• Melasma (triggered by hormonal changes, oral contraceptive pill, and pregnancy; exacerbated by sunlight).
• Post-Inflammatory (caused by localized trauma or inflammation in acne or eczema patients).
• Solar lentigines (due to long-standing sun exposure).
HOW TO PREVENT
1. Photo-protection: Avoid the triggers! Daily use of a broad spectrum sun protection factor (SPF) 30+ sunscreen, protective clothing, and avoid prolonged and excessive sun exposure.
2. Keep skin hydrated: Drink plenty of water, and incorporate natural moisturizing topical ingredients into your daily rituals.
3. Eat lots of antioxidant-rich foods, and maintain a balanced healthy diet. Antioxidants combat skin-damaging free radicals.
4. Insist on anti-inflammatory and brightening ingredients in your skincare regimen. Rosehip seed oil, chamomile, vitamin C, niacinamide and more - will help to prevent melanin production, arresting the pigmentation cycle before it starts, and keeping your skin calm and even toned.
HOW TO TREAT
1. Natural active ingredients are a safe, effective, inexpensive, and over-the-counter alternative to harsh, synthetic depigmenting agents (that can irritate skin).
2. Combinations of natural bioactives can act synergistically on different melanin pathways, resulting in improved skin-brightening effects.
3. Many formulations are “generic” and not designed or marketed for specific skin tones or women with skin-of-color.
4. si SKIN Organics Brightening Elixir was developed to bridge this “skincare gap” - siDerm BioComplex is a blend of potent algae-derived and natural bioactives for superior brightening results, while also targeting fine lines, wrinkles and other visible signs of aging.
5. Regular gentle exfoliation (1-2 times a week) is key to stimulating rapid cell turnover, enhancing removal of melanin from the skin, and skin regeneration. Our Super Charged Vitamin C Boost will help exfoliate the top layers of your skin and improve tone and texture. Use in combination with our Brightening Elixir, for faster and long-lasting benefits.
6. Email our experts at email@example.com for tips on your skincare routine!
** Remember to *ALWAYS* get “spots” on your body, or other skin concerns, checked by a dermatologist or other medical professional, if you are unsure of what they are.
** References available from si SKIN Organics.